My experience with Google Tools as been a new one. I have used Google probably numerous times a day, everyday since the beginning of High School and never realized how many "tools" it actually has. It's great! The tools I have used many times and know well are Google Search, which allows you to search the web for just about any term, item, person, place or thing, and Google Image, which allows you to search the web for any image.
The tools that have just been introduced to me were Google Docs, which could promote group collaboration, keep track of grades, attendance, or any other data, facilitate writing as a process, teach revision, proofreading and editing skills and so much more. This, I find, will be used the most by teachers and students in the classroom.
Other tools I learned about were Igoogle, which allows you to customize your start page by adding a theme. Sketchup, which is a free piece of software that allows you to create 3D models of anything that you like. Google earth is another feature that will be fun for students of any age to use. They can be given a project that will allow them to fly anywhere on Earth to view satellite imagery, maps, terrain, 3D buildings, from galaxies in outer space to the canyons of the ocean. They can take virtual tours and explore! They can also use Maps with these projects they are completing in school or at home. Picasa and Calendar are other tools that would or could be used in the classroom. Maybe in a photo or art class. As for the calendar, it would be used daily, teacher or student based.
Blogging, as I am right now, is a wonderful thing for a student AND a teacher. It is a great proxy for a journal entry! It allows for students to write and use technology and also allows for teachers to use technology and keep notes on their days, if they so choose.
I feel that these tools will only benefit teachers and students, as they have taught me so much in only two weeks!!
No comments:
Post a Comment